A finance minister is an executive or cabinet position in charge of one or more of government finances, economic policy and financial regulation.
A finance minister’s portfolio has a large variety of names across the world, such as “treasury”, “finance”, “financial affairs”, “economy” and “economic affairs”. The position of the finance minister might be named for this portfolio, but it may also have some other name, like “Treasurer” or, in the United Kingdom, “Chancellor of the Exchequer”. The finance minister is usually in charge of monetary policy, economic policy, fiscal policy, and financial regulation.
Many women have been appointed to the post since the mid 1920s. Sierra Leone is no exception to this especially when we have a President who empowers every aspect_ women, youths, adults, aged etc.
President Julius Maada Bio, there are 152 women in the world that have served as Ministers of Finance in their respective countries. Currently, there are 16 women who are manning the affairs of their countries economy by serving in the capacity of Minister of Finance. Below is a list of some of the women currently serving as Ministers of Finance in their countries and are doing extremely well.
1.Janet Yellen of America who was just appointed on the 26 of January, 2021 by the newly elected President, Joe Biden.
2. Chrystia Freeland of Canada. She was appointed in 2020 and still serves as the Minister.
3. Vera Daves of Angola who assumed office from 2018 to present.
4. Nirmala Sitharaman of India who assumed office from 2019 to present.
5. Zainab Ahmed of Nigeria who assumed office from 2018 to present.
6. María Jesús Montero of Spain who assumed office from 2018 to present.
7. Alena Schillerová of Czech Republic who assumed office from 2017 to present.
8. Sri Mulyani Indrawati of Indonesia who assumed office in 2016 to present.
9. Magdalena Andersson who is the current Minister of Finance of Sweden since 2014 to present. And the list goes on.
President Julius Maada Bio, I know you are a listening president and always like to do what is best for this country. “What a man can do a woman can do it better”
Let’s try a woman this time around as Minister of Finance.