1. Sierra Leone was the center for British Colonial Administration and Business in West Africa.
2. In 1808, it became the first crown colony of Britain in Sub–Saharan Africa.
3. It was the first country in West Africa to have a railway in 1898.
4. First to have electricity and broadcast services in the sub-region in 1927.
5. the First country in Sub-Saharan Africa to have an airline in 1927.
6. Freetown became the first city in West Africa to have an airport at Hasting where a plane, for the first time, landed directly from England and returned to England via The Gambia in 1927.
7. It was the first to have a tropical hospital in West Africa in 1925.
8. First to have a primary school back in 1794 and a university (Fourah Bay College) in 1827.
9. The first hospital for the mentally retarded in West Africa was established in Freetown in 1920.
10. It was the first country in West Africa where Motor Vehicles were introduced in 1912.
11. Sierra Leone was the first to have an English Legal system with black judges and jurors.
12. Sierra Leone’s Supreme Court became the final court of Appeal for Ghana, Nigeria, and The Gambia.
13. In 1843 the Whole of Gold Coast (Ghana), Nigeria, and The Gambia was placed under the administration of Freetown.
14. In 1792 Sierra Leone became the first country in the world where women first cast votes in an election before women began to vote in Britain in 1918.
15. In the 1800s, seventeen Black-Priests and a Bishop went to Ghana and Nigeria as missionaries to spread Christianity and established churches there.
16. In 1893 Freetown Municipality became the first city in West Africa to have a Mayor.
17. Freetown became the first city in West Africa to have a Banking system, ‘Bank of British West Africa’.
18. Sierra Leone was also the first country in West Africa to have a post Office.