Most of the educated people in Sierra Leone are poor. Majority of the educated earn less than Le2,500,000 for a salary before tax and other deductions. When the deductions are put into consideration, the net salary comes to around Le1,800,000. The net salary then suffers from loan deductions of up to Le500,000 leaving the salary at around Le1,300,000. The landlord then demands for his Le300,000 and monthly shopping takes away Le250,000 leaving one with a Le750,000. The bus will demand for Le10,000 going to and from work and relatives get another Le150,000. The whole salary is gone and borrowed money starts operating. The borrowed money includes short loans and salary advances.
The difference between poverty and prosperity is property. A prosperous person has property to his name while a poverty stricken person has no property to show. Using this understanding, therefore, most of the degree holders are poverty stricken, borrowing money to buy chicken and chips, pizza, and a car.
The biggest excuse for getting paid such low amounts of money and having to sit and work for another person for 30 days is THE DEGREE that one possesses and that’s all. This has made most of the degree holders very poor to poverty stricken and will die that way most likely. A degree holder does not know how to generate money unless that money is generated for the employer. A degree holder is so dependent on the salary that he can do anything to get a job but will not think of starting a business of his own to employ others.
1. A degree holder is not prepared to sell chips but is very happy to work for hungry lion (companies).
2. A degree holder is not prepared to sell popcorn in the street but is very happy to work for AIRTEL out let in the city and PZ junction.
3. A degree holder is not prepared to sell second hand clothes but is very happy to be employed by SLCB which the business of selling stocks and looking for customers in a scorching Sun.
4. A degree holder is not prepared to make Le350,000 monthly doing his own business but is very happy to work at the till in a bank getting paid Le850,000
5. A degree holder is not prepared to start a company and grow it in two to three years but will spend three years searching for a job.
6. A degree holder is not prepared to sell food to students but will be happy to be reporting to a boss with no qualifications as Office Assistant as long as he is paid Le550,000 for a salary.
7. A degree holder is so eager to get out of this country and work in another country than spend time to develop his own country.
8. A degree holder staying in a foreign land (Sierra Leonean) is
keen to condemn Sierra Leone but never contributing to the development of this country.
9. A Sierra Leonean degree holder would rather sweep the streets of London or USA than *start a business* to make money in her mother land – others work in people’s homes doing some work (cleaners).
10. A degree holder in Sierra Leone will watch porn on his laptop but never sit to write a book using the same laptop to sell and make money.
11. A degree holder will blame the government for lack of jobs even after he was on government SLG for him to have his degree.
A school I visit, there is a man that is of very humble background. He does not speak English but sells Coke, Fanta and Sprite at Le5,000 each making a profit of Le1,000 on each drink. He also sells chips at Le1,000 making a profit of Le200 on each portion. Not less than 80 students buy chips and a drink every single day. This means he makes lot of profit each day for a drink and chips.
The degree holder working in a bank at the till gets a salary of Le850,000 every month.
Why are the degree holders poor?
Because they have decided to pride themselves in a degree and failed to think better than a man who does not have even a certificate to his name.
Degree holders spend their time liking articles on linkedIn and facebook but never have any care in the world to implement what they like. Poverty starts from the mind, a mind that just likes things but never to implement those things.
If you want to progress, keep that degree and start thinking better than someone without a degree. There’s no white collar Job anywhere bro, or if there is one, you have to worship politicians and accept their corrupt acts to gain a job.
Be prepared to get your hands dirty and work like an ox for your business. Your hard work will pay off.
I started my own business with a jack of all fields concept but by the power of God and my business team, I will soon stamp my foot on one and there my story will take a glorious direction.